Winter Weather Preparation Tips
Tips for Preparing for Winter Weather
- During cold spells keep cabinet doors open. Allowing warm air to circulate around pipes
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets, run through unheated or non-insulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off".
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puff backs.